US 101/Peninsula Avenue Interchange Project
An update on the current project and an overview of options for next steps will be presented to City Council during a study session on May 1, 2023, at 5:30pm. More information can be found 72 hours prior to the meeting on the Public Meeting Portal.
The environmental studies phase started in April 2021 and is anticipated to be complete in Summer 2023.
In late 2021, we were awarded a grant from the San Mateo County Transportation Authority to complete the next phases of work – Design (Plans, Specifications, and Estimate) and Right-of-Way Administration. This grant funding is pending completion of the current environmental studies phase. Funding has not yet been identified for property acquisition.
We are proposing to relocate the existing U.S. Hwy 101 southbound on- and off-ramps from East Poplar Avenue to Peninsula Avenue in order to create a single, full-access interchange at Peninsula Avenue and Airport Boulevard. This would improve safety and traffic operations as well as reduce most typical travel times within the Peninsula Avenue interchange area for residents of both San Mateo and Burlingame. The project would also provide bicycle and pedestrian improvements on Peninsula Avenue from just west of North Humboldt Street to North Bayshore Boulevard.
- January 2021 – Meetings with property/business owners and the community.
- April 2021 – Begin environmental studies phase and hold project scoping meeting (receive formal public comments).
- Early 2023 – Complete draft environmental document (receive formal public comments).
- Summer/Fall 2023 – Finalize environmental document and determine next steps for project.
- Potential next steps include right-of-way acquisition and project design. These cannot begin prior to completion of the environmental document and project approval.
2021 Scoping Documents
- Non-Residential Property Acquisition
- Adquisición de propiedad no residencial
- Residential Property Acquisition
- Adquisición de propiedad residencial
- 2021 Project Update Presentation PDF / Watch presentation (Youtube)
- 2020 Project Update PDF / Watch presentation
- 2018 Project Update
- May 17,
2017Community Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- November 7,
2016City Council Meeting PowerPoint Presentation
- Project Study Report
- June 25,
2016Community Meeting PowerPoint Presentation