Smooth Streets Program
The Smooth Streets Program reconstructs roads that have reached the end of their service life.
This is a special program that addresses streets which can no longer be preserved as part of our regular road maintenance. Approximately 20 miles of streets have been identified for reconstruction based on visual inspection and their Pavement Condition Index.
Since its inception in 2013, the program has restored 12 miles of our City streets. In 2015, local voters approved Measure S, a quarter-cent sales tax extension that supports community-identified priorities like the Smooth Streets Program.
You can click to enlarge this map on any device. The proposed completion years are subject to change.
We coordinate with the Clean Water Program, PG&E, CalWater, and other utilities to minimize avoidable expense and inconvenience to community members.
When utility conflicts are found, we will request that the private utility companies relocate their pipes, wires, or other buried infrastructure. This early coordination is important because it can take anywhere from nine to 24 months to relocate one mile of buried utilities.
Active Construction Segments:
Most work is complete, minor finishing work still expected
- Birch Avenue, from S. Delaware Street to Sunnybrae Boulevard
- Del Mar Way, from Portola Drive to Hacienda Street
- Fairfax Avenue, from Alameda de las Pulgas to Franklin Street
- Fleetwood Drive, from Folkstone Avenue to S Grant Street
- Franklin Street, from Crystal Springs Road to Virginia Avenue
- Fulton Road, from Bromfield Road to end
- Sunnybrae Boulevard, from S. Delaware Street to S. Amphlett Boulevard (postponed to 2022)
- Turner Terrace, from E. Bellevue Avenue to E. Poplar Avenue
Residents can expect to see Notice of Schedule from the contractor once the schedule is determined.
- Idaho Street, from Cypress Avenue to E. 3rd Avenue
- Eldorado Street, from E. 5th Avenue to E. 10th Avenue
Notification radius is typically within one block of project areas.
Notice of Contract Award - Smooth Streets Phase 2 - Sept. 21, 2021
Notice of Project Change (Sunnybrae Boulevard) - April 29, 2021
Notice of Construction - Oct. 20, 2020 / (Please note, a previous version of this postcard listed an incorrect phone number.)
Notice of Contract Award – Aug. 31, 2020 / Notification Area is typically within one block radius of project area.