Kiku Crossing and 5th Avenue Garage
The City-Owned Downtown Affordable Housing and Parking Garage (aka Kiku Crossing and 5th Avenue Garage) development project will provide 225 affordable residential units in a seven-story building located on 480 E. 4th Avenue, and a five-level, above ground parking garage located at 400 E. 5th Avenue. The parking garage will provide 164 spaces for the tenants of the multi-family building and 526 public spaces. The project site consists of two city-owned parcels which served as public parking lots with a total of 235 parking spaces.
Construction is currently underway with the parking garage expected to open in summer 2023 and the housing development expected to open in spring 2024. Visit MidPen's web page to learn about the affordable housing or sign up for their interested parties list to be notified of when applications will be accepted.
The project utilized provisions of Assembly Bill (AB) 1763, which allows for increased building height and density for housing developments located within a half-mile of a major transit stop and offering 100 percent of the total units to lower income households.
The project consists of two buildings located on two parcels:
- A seven-story residential building (Kiku Crossing) comprised of 225 affordable rental units at 480 E. 4th Avenue.
- A five-level, above-ground parking garage (5th Avenue Garage) located at 400 E. 5th Avenue that will provide 164 spaces for the tenants of the multi-family building and 526 public spaces.
- The City Council selected MidPen Housing Corporation through a competitive RFP process in April 2018, to develop these sites.
- In April, 2023, City officials toured the construction of the affordable housing building.
- In mid-November, 2022, three large-scale murals were installed along the exterior of the parking garage as part of the project's public art requirements.
- On March 17, 2022, a ground-breaking ceremony was held on the project site. The parking garage is expected to open in spring 2023 and the affordable housing building will open in 2024
- On May 17, 2021, the City Council voted (5-0) to approve a Resolution for a SPAR Modification to Kiku Crossing, a multi-family residential development building located at 480 E. 4th Avenue, and to the 5th Avenue Garage, located at 400 E. 5th Avenue (PA-2021-013).
- On May 11, 2021, the Planning Commission recommended (3-0) to City Council adoption of a Resolution to approve the SPAR Modification (PA-2021-013).
- On April 5, 2021 a Standard Voluntary Clean-Up Agreement with the Department of Toxic Substances Control was reviewed and approved by the City Council. This agreement governs the handling of contaminated soils on the residential site at 480 E. 4th Avenue.
- On March 2, 2021, the applicant submitted a planning application (PA-2021-013) for a SPAR Modification to revise the design of the seven-story residential building. The proposed changes include a reduction in total floor area of approximately 23,000 sq. ft., pulling the building back further from the property lines along all four sides, redeveloping the roof deck amenity area (fitness room removed), alterations to the window configurations and finish material layout, minor increase to open space total, refined cornice design, and landscape adjustments including removal of one (1) street tree to accommodate a utilities and addition of five (5) onsite trees to the multi-family residential building and site. The project includes modifications to the exterior façade panels along the exterior façade of the garage, including removing one of four panels and ending the panel located near the stairwell and elevator along 5th Avenue at the second floor, and construction of walls behind the remaining panels.
- On November 16, 2020, the City Council voted (5-0) to approve a Resolution for a SPAR Modification for 5th Avenue Garage (PA-2020-055).
- On November 10, 2020, the Planning Commission recommended (5-0) to the City Council adoption of a Resolution to approve the SPAR Modification (PA-2020-055).
- On October 5, 2020, the applicant submitted a planning application (PA-2020-055) to modify the parking garage (5th Avenue Garage), located at 400 E. 5th Avenue. The proposed changes include modification of the garage’s structural framing system, alteration of the circulation layout, minor changes to the location of the driveway, utilization of a uniform universal stall program to replace all standard full-size and compact stalls, and minor corresponding changes to the exterior of the garage. The modifications do not affect the design of the multifamily residential building located at 480 E. 4th Avenue.
- On August 17, 2020, the City Council recommended (5-0) approval of a resolution for the City-Owned Downtown Affordable Housing and Garage Sites project (PA-2019-033). The resolution included:
- adoption of the Mitigated Negative Declaration,
- approval two Site Plan and Architectural Review (SPAR) applications for a multi-family residential building and parking garage, and an on-street loading zone, including the density bonus request and request for waivers from specific development standards of the City,
- approval of a Site Development Planning Application (SDPA) for the removal of major vegetation,
- approval of a Special Use Permit (SUP) to allow the parking garage use,
- approval of the Disposition, Development and Loan Agreement (“DDLA”) between the City of San Mateo and MP Downtown San Mateo Associates, L.P., which authorizes the City to enter into a Ground Lease for the residential property and a License Agreement, and Easement for the parking garage.
- City Council (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials - May 17, 2021
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials - May 11, 2021
- City Council (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials – November 16, 2020
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials - November 10, 2020
- City Council (Public Hearing): Public Notice - August 17, 2020
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials - July 14, 2020
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – April 28, 2020
- Neighborhood Meeting: Minutes Summary – February 24, 2020
- Neighborhood Meeting: Presentation – February 24, 2020
- City Council (Study Session): Meeting Materials and Video – February 3, 2020
- City Council (Study Session): Meeting Materials and Video – November 18, 2019
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – April 23, 2019
- Neighborhood Meeting: Minutes Summary – March 7, 2019
- Neighborhood Meeting: Presentation – March 7, 2019
PA-2021-013, SPAR Modification (Modification of Kiku Crossing and Garage)
PA-2020-055, SPAR Modification (Modification of 5th Avenue Garage)
- Proposed Resolution – November 16, 2020
- Project Plans: (Current) - October 30, 2020
- Project Description Letter – October 30, 2020
- Revised Density Bonus Request Letter - October 22, 2020
- Factual Data Sheet
- Amended Conditions of Approval #25 and #54 (redlined)
- Larry Cannon’s Design Review Letter - October 8, 2020
- Hexagon Traffic Analysis Memorandum - November 3, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) - October. 2, 2020
PA-2019-033, SAR (2) + SDPA + SUP
- Disposition, Development and Loan Agreement
- Downtown Opportunity Sites Reuse Appraisal
- Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program (7/6/20)
- Conditions for Approval
- Findings for Approval
- Density Bonus Letter
- Downtown San Mateo Opportunity Sites Parking Study
- General Plan Traffic Analysis– June 15, 2020
- Notice of Intent + Planning Commission Public Hearing (MidPen Downtown Affordable Housing Sites project) - May 26, 2020
- Notice of Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) & Notice of Intent to Request Release of Funds (RROF) - May 26, 2020
- MidPen Initial Study (33.6MB)
- Appendix A - Air Quality & GHG Assessment (6.2MB)
- Appendix B - Arborist Report (1.5MB)
- Appendix C - Section 106 (68.4MB)
- Appendix D - Geotechnical (7.2MB)
- Appendix E - Phase 1 - 4th Ave (47MB)
- Appendix E - Phase 1 - 5th Ave (21.7MB)
- Appendix F - Phase 2 Both Parcels (7.3MB)
- Appendix G - Env Site Characterization (9.7MB)
- Appendix H - CEQA Noise Report (2.8MB)
- Appendix I - CEQA Transportation Analysis
- Appendix J - TDM Plan_MidPen (1.6MB)
- Appendix K - Species List (.3MB)
- Appendix L - HUD Explosive Survey (20.7MB)
- Appendix M - SHPO Request for Concurrence (75.6MB)
- Appendix N - SHPO Concurrence (.9MB)
- Standard Voluntary Clean Up Agreement with the Department of Toxic Substances Control - April 12, 2021
- Notice of Draft Removal Action Workplan with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (in English and Spanish) - July 1, 2021
- Response to Comments on Initial Study - July 7, 2020
- Project Plans: (Current) – June 15, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – April 17, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – March 4, 2020
- Project Plans: (Conceptual Plans) – February 24, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – July 11, 2019
MidPen Housing Corp.
303 Vintage Park Dr., Suite 250
Foster City, CA 94404
City Contact Information
Wendy Lao, AICP