1855 S Norfolk St., Multi-Family Development
This project includes the proposal to redevelop the existing Fish Market Restaurant site with a 260-unit multi-family development. The 3.46-acre site at 1855 S Norfolk St. is bound by S. Norfolk St. to the west, Seal Slough to the east, Susan Ct. to the north, and Fashion Island Blvd. to the south. The proposed development consists of:
- A five-story “South” building, and a four-story “North” building
- 260 residential units (for-rent), of which 26 units would be affordable to the Very Low-Income level. The unit mix would consist of studios, one-, and two-bedroom units.
- 1,200 square-feet of commercial uses in the North building
- 325 above-grade parking spaces
- Public open spaces along Seal Slough
- Private residential open spaces on building rooftops
This application was filed on January 3, 2023. Since the Pre-Application, the applicant has reduced the total units from 321 units to 260 units to conform with local density limits and State Density Bonus law. This application is currently under review with City Departments. Technical studies regarding air quality, noise, and traffic are in progress.
The applicant completed the required Pre-Application, which included a neighborhood meeting held on June 22, 2022 and a Planning Commission Study Session held on July 26, 2022. Please see related materials below.
The City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation Commission meeting scheduled for September 6, 2023, has been canceled. The Informational Meeting for the 1855 S. Norfolk St. Multi-Family Development (PA-2022-099) is RESCHEDULED to Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. Meeting materials will be available before the meeting at the Public Meeting Portal (link below).
Development Impact Fees
This project may be subject to payment of the following impact fees and in-lieu fees.
- Commercial Linkage Fee
- Child Care Development Fee
- Landscape Unit In-Lieu Fee
- Park Impact Fee
- Sanitary Sewer Connection Charge
- School Impact Fees
- Transportation Improvement Fee
- Wastewater Treatment Plant Phase II Impact Fee
- Project Plans (Current) – April 30, 2023
- Project Plans (Previous) – January 3, 2023
- Parks and Recreation Commission Informational Meeting
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2023
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: City Hall Council Chambers, 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA; and online through the Public Meeting Portal where you can also find details on how to watch the meeting remotely and how to provide comments.
Meeting Materials: Meeting materials will be available before the meeting at the Public Meeting Portal.
- Planning Commission Study Session (Special Meeting) – July 26, 2022
- Neighborhood Meeting – June 22, 2022
City Contact Information
Somer Smith, AICP