Communities of Interest
The San Mateo City Council has begun the process of transitioning to district elections. U.S. Census data will be used to balance the population of each San Mateo City Council District.
One of the primary goals of this process is to keep communities together within each district. That’s why it is so important to hear from you! Complete this form or use this map to tell the City Council about your community of interest – so it can be preserved in the new district lines.
How You Can Participate in the Process
- Use our online Communities of Interest form to provide comments
- Complete the pdf version of the COI form (English, Spanish, Chinese) or COI Map (English) and return it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or return it by mail to City Clerk Patrice Olds, 330 W. 20th Ave., San Mateo, CA 94403.
- Attend one of the City's Public Hearings and Community Workshops on districting.
What is a Community of Interest?
What criteria will help the City Council understand the importance of your community in the districting process?
When documenting your community, it is important to outline the following topics to assist the City Council in the districting process:
- The shared culture, characteristics, or bonds of your community.
- The distinguishable geographic boundaries of your community and the number of people living in your area.
- Your community’s relationship with the City and how it is affected by policy decisions made by the City Council.
The public can submit any feedback, but it is important to remember that your input can be best used if it addresses all three of these topics.