Election and Voter Information
Register to Vote
Voter registration information is available through the San Mateo County Election website
- California Voter Registration
- The City Clerk’s Office provides voter registration forms during office hours: Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM @ 330 W. 20th Ave, San Mateo, CA 94403.
- We can assist you in locating the 28 day vote centers and 4 day vote centers. You are able to cast your Vote not just on election day.
General Municipal Election
General Municipal Elections to elect council members are held in San Mateo on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each even-numbered year. The next election is scheduled for November 8, 2022. The City's first by-district election will begin with Districts 1, 3, and 5. Learn more about District Elections.
Council incumbents currently live in the following districts:
- District 1: Rick Bonilla, Diane Papan and Eric Rodriguez
- District 2: Amourence Lee
- District 3: Joe Goethals
- District 4: No Incumbent
- District 5: No Incumbent
Phone: (650) 522-7042
Qualifications for Office
A person must be a registered voter of the City of San Mateo and have resided continuously in San Mateo for at least thirty days immediately preceding the appointment or final filing date for nomination papers.
Individual contributions cannot exceed $500 and organization contributions cannot exceed $1,000. Additionally, a candidate cannot personally make a loan to their campaign in an amount which exceeds $15,000. Municipal Code 2.80.030 LIMITATIONS ON CONTRIBUTIONS
Elections - Role of the City Clerk
The City Clerk is responsible for the administration of all municipal elections by:
- Serving as Elections Official and issuing nomination papers to potential candidates;
- Serving as Elections Official for the initiative and referendum process;
- Serving as Filing Officer for Campaign Statements and Statements of Economic Interests as required by the Political Reform Act and administered by the Fair Political Practices Commission.
- Maintaining the City’s election history.