Private Sewer Lateral Cost Sharing Program
FY 2022/23 Sewer Lateral Reimbursement Check Delay October - November
The City of San Mateo is changing financial systems in the month of October. We apologize for the delay in reimbursement checks this may cause.
If we have received your reimbursement packet and you have not received your check, we will resume processing reimbursements as of November 1st, 2022, when the new system is live. Please allow an additional 3-6 weeks for check delivery.
Again, we apologize for the delay.
The FY2022/23 Sewer Lateral Cost Sharing Program is closed as of 9/29/2022.
We are no longer accepting applications for the program for the 2022/2023 Fiscal Year. The program is closed.
The application and bids must be approved prior to the replacement of your full sewer lateral. This program does not have a retroactive component and does not cover partial replacements or spot repairs. Funds are awarded on a first come/first serve basis.
Due to demand and popularity of the program, please allow three to four weeks for review of your application or bids.
To see our stats from last year, take a look at our 2021/2022 Sewer Lateral Report.
How does the program work?
1. The property owner must submit an application.
2. The property owner has three months, from the date of acceptance into the program, to complete the full replacement of the sewer lateral and submit the reimbursement paperwork before their application is void.
3. The property owner must contact three licensed contractors for estimates for full sewer lateral replacement and submit those estimates to us for review and approval. Please note: we only reimburse 50 percent of the lowest bid to a maximum of $5000.
4. Once the bids have been approved, the property owner may move forward with the full replacement of their sewer lateral.
5. When the replacement work is completed, applicants must submit the reimbursement request form for the program and return it to us along with all of the listed paperwork.