Dock Permit

When is a Dock Permit required?

  • Prior to performing any maintenance or major repair work on your dock, you first need to obtain either a permit or letter of permission from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Information regarding this may be obtained online or by calling the San Francisco District Office of the Army Corps of Engineers at (415) 503-6795.
  • Building Permit from the Building Department
  • Encroachment Permit from Public Works
Am I allowed to have a dock?
Most of the properties located along Marina Lagoon are allowed to have a dock.

Is there an annual fee associated with docks?
Property owners with docks are required to pay an annual fee for the dock and have current liability insurance.

How do I obtain proper permits to have a dock?
The dock permitting procedure is in the process of being revised, pending new permit requirements from the Army Corp, Regional Water Quality Control Board, and California Department of Fish and Wildlife. This website will be updated soon with the new information including permit procedures, fees, standard plans and specifications, and all applicable forms. The City anticipates obtaining the necessary regulatory agency permits, which will allow us to directly issue permits for new docks and major repairs, by summer of 2017. Until then, residents will need to work closely with Public Works to determine the specific requirements that apply.

Still have questions?
Call Public Works at (650) 522-7300 or the Building Department at (650) 522-7172.