The following is a summary of typical inspections and the stage when the inspection should be scheduled. Each project will require the inspections relative to the work that is being done.
Foundation: A foundation inspection shall be scheduled when the trenches are excavated, forms and steel reinforcing bars are in place, but prior to concrete being poured.
Under Floor: An inspection shall be scheduled after all under floor framing, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical is complete and before insulation and the sub-floor is installed.
Roof Nail: A roof nail inspection is required after the roofing deck is installed and before applying any roofing materials.
Exterior Shear Nail: A shear nail inspection is required after the shear walls are installed and before any exterior protection in applied.
Fire Inspection: A residential fire sprinkler system inspection is required for piping, hangers and sprinkler location before the rough framing inspection.
Rough Frame: The rough framing inspection shall be scheduled after the roof and walls are weather tight. All rough framing, rough electrical, rough plumbing, and rough mechanical shall be completed prior to the inspection. Also, if automatic fire sprinklers are installed, a fire inspection shall be completed prior to a rough framing inspection.
Electrical: A rough electrical inspection shall be scheduled after all the electrical wiring is run and before the receptacles are installed. If a rough framing inspection is required, the electrical system will be inspected at that time. After all the work is completed, a final inspection shall be scheduled and the electrical fixtures and receptacles will be inspected.
• Under floor plumbing: When all under floor work is installed, at under floor inspection. Drainage systems shall be tested and inspected while under 10 foot headwater test and water piping shall be tested under working pressure.
• Rough plumbing: A rough plumbing inspection shall be scheduled after all the plumbing systems (drainage, vents, water and gas piping) are completed. If a rough framing inspection is required, the plumbing system will be inspected at that time. Drainage and vent systems shall be tested and inspected while under 10 foot headwater and water piping shall be tested under working pressure.
• Main Sewer Line: The main sewer line and its connection to the public sewer shall be scheduled for a water test inspection.
• Gas Lines: All gas lines and systems require an inspection before connections are made to the supply lines. If a rough framing inspection is required, the inspection for the gas line shall be inspected along with the rough frame. For the inspection, the installer shall supply equipment to conduct an air pressure test of ten pounds for 15 minutes to be verified by the Building Inspector.
• Under floor inspection: An inspection is required for under floor ducts or vents. If an under floor inspection is required, the mechanical ducts and vents will be inspected at that time.
• Rough mechanical: A rough mechanical inspection shall be scheduled after the mechanical system, heat ducts, exhaust and vent ducts are installed. If a rough framing inspection is required, the inspection for the mechanical system shall be inspected along with the rough frame
Lath and Plaster: An inspection shall be scheduled to inspect the attachment (screwing or nailing) of all firewalls and water-resistant wallboard. An inspection shall also be scheduled to inspect the attachment for all exterior lath.
• Insulation: All required insulation shall be inspected after installation and before the material is covered.
Final Inspection: When all work is completed a final inspection shall be scheduled prior to occupancy or use of the area. If automatic fire sprinklers were installed, a final inspection from the Fire Inspector shall be scheduled and approved prior to scheduling the final Building inspection.