What are the City's home business requirements?
In some cases, businesses cannot be operated out of the home. However, there are some business activities which are permitted in residences. Uses such as home offices, professional services, instruction, food preparation, and handicrafts may be allowed if certain criteria are met and a Home Occupation permit is obtained. Commercial auto repair and retail sales from the home are not allowed. -To be permitted, a home occupation must meet the following criteria: -All employees of the business must be residents in the dwelling. -Only 400 square feet of the home, or up to 20% of the living area, whichever is less, may be used for the business. -Clients may only visit the dwelling between the hours of 8am and 6pm, and no more than five client visits per day are allowed. -Parking must be provided for all business vehicles. -Deliveries to the business may only be made by private mail service or the Postal Service. -Outdoor storage of goods, equipment, or material is not allowed. -A valid business tax certificate must also be maintained at all times that the home occupation is conducted. -Vehicles used for the business may not have visible logos. -For information regarding a Home Occupation Permit, please contact the Planning Division at (650) 522-7212. To apply for, or to request an application for a Home Occupation Permit and a business tax certificate, you may contact the Finance Department at City Hall, 330 West 20th Avenue. Their phone number is (650) 522-7100. Search the San Mateo Municipal Code for Section 27.16.040 Home Occupation information at the following link. Home Occupation (SMMC: 27.16.040)

Show All Answers

1. How are codes enforced?
2. How do I notify the City about a possible code violation?
3. What penalties result from code violations?
4. What are the City's home business requirements?
5. What are the City's fence and hedge requirements?
6. What are the City's signage requirements?