Playgrounds Reopen with New Safety Rules
Get ready to play! As promised, we’ve reopened playgrounds now that State public health experts released new COVID-19 safety rules. For your family’s safety, all playground visitors must follow these mandatory safety rules from the California Department of Public Health.
Playground visitors must:
- Wear face coverings at all times (including anyone over 2 years old)
- Don’t crowd. Do not use if you can’t maintain 6 feet of distance from others. Playground capacity limits have been posted at each location.
- Wash or sanitize hands before and after use. Hand washing stations have been provided at those playground locations without restrooms.
- Children must be actively supervised at all times
- No eating or drinking
- Limit visits to 30 minutes when others are waiting
If you or your child are unable to comply with these safety rules, we ask that you refrain from use of the playground areas at this time. It is important to note that even when all state safety guidelines are followed, visitors should be aware that there are risks involved with using this high-touch, shared equipment.
Please note that the City simply does not have the resources to monitor playgrounds for compliance or provide daily cleaning. Just like all other activities we participate in during COVID-19, people will have to make their own decisions about what risks they feel comfortable taking. We all need to take personal responsibility for following the rules, being a good neighbor and taking steps to protect ourselves.
Remember, your actions affect the health and well being of our community. Please play safe! Please play and recreate safely! Bring a mask with you when recreating, and be sure to wear it if you cannot keep your distance from others. Together, we can help San Mateo County reopen!
Learn more about the effects of COVID-19 on our San Mateo City Parks and Recreation Department on our FAQ page.