Project Read is offering virtual classes! View the current schedule. Please contact Project Read at (650) 522-7848 or email@example.com for more information or to be placed in a virtual class. Para obtener más información en español, llame o envíe un correo electrónico a Adriana Valencia al (650) 522-7806 o firstname.lastname@example.org
Project Read Staff have put together these resource links for distance learning.
The City of San Mateo website contains links to external websites for the purpose of providing reference material and information on community-related subjects. The inclusion of these links should not be construed as an endorsement or sponsorship of these external websites, their content, viewpoints, products, services, or their hosts.
Change a life...yours!
Project Read, the adult literacy program of the San Mateo Public Library, ha
s provided free, confidential, literacy tutoring to adults since 1985.
Volunteer tutors work with adults who want to improve their basic reading and writing skills, enabling them to achieve personal learning goals, like reading a story to a child, voting for the first time, or completing a job application form. The program raises literacy levels—and the quality of life—in the City of San Mateo.
Project Read serves residents (and those who work in) San Mateo, Burlingame, and Hillsborough.
Project Read Tutors:
- Complete Project Read’s training workshop.
- Commit to at least 6 months of tutoring, although tutors can stay much longer!
- Are available to meet with a student at the Library twice a week for 1-2 hours each session.
- Bring flexibility, patience, curiosity, and a spirit of lifelong learning to tutoring.
Project Read Students:
- Are adults older than 16 and not enrolled in high school
- Want to improve their basic reading and writing skills
- Can speak comfortably in English over the phone and in-person
- Thrive with individualized attention outside a classroom setting