Picnic Area Rules & Regulations
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the Parks & Recreation’s rules and regulations for Picnic Areas. If you have any questions please contact the reservations office at (650) 522-7434.
City of San Mateo Parks and Recreation Department Park Rules and Regulations
- Alcohol is prohibited unless a City alcohol permit has been issued. Permits which have alcohol included must end at 6:00pm. Permit holder must be at least 21 years of age in order to obtain an alcohol permit for any drop-in area or picnic site. Alcohol is not permitted at Laurelwood Park, Parkside Aquatic Park, Ryder Park, Shoreview Park, and Harborview Park
- Glass bottles are not permitted at any City park.
- The use of sound amplification equipment is prohibited. Radios, boom boxes, wireless speakers, DJ setups, instruments, microphones, and megaphones are not permitted.
- Smoking is prohibited in city facilities and on city property including parks, parking lots, and grounds surrounding city facilities, including streets and sidewalks.
- Vehicles are not permitted inside any city park at any time unless previous permission has been granted. Any unauthorized vehicles in the park or picnic area will be subject to a citation and towing at the owner’s expense. All picnic supplies must be transported on foot into park and picnic area.
- No personal barbecues are to be brought into any park. Barbecuing is restricted to the barbecue pits provided by the City at each picnic site. Caterers and food vendors are not permitted unless previous permission has been granted.
- Inflatable jump houses may only be used with prior approval in conjunction with a valid picnic permit. Jump houses must be placed in designated areas within the park, and must not exceed 15x15 with no slides or balls. A generator must be provided by the jumper rental company. Jumpers are not permitted at Laurelwood Park and Parkside Aquatic Park.
- No electricity provided by the City at any picnic site.
- Please leave picnic area clean with all trash placed in the trash cans provided. It is advised to bring additional trash bags to compensate for excess trash.
- Dogs are allowed at all City parks, but must remain on a tethered leash and in control at all times. Dogs are only allowed off-leash in the designated dog play areas at Seal Point Park, Joinville Park, Los Prados Park, and Laurie Meadows Park.
- With the exception of dogs on leashes, no domesticated animals (petting zoos) will be permitted in any Park Property of Facility.
- Model airplanes, drones, motorized scooters, and/or any other motor driven vehicles are prohibited.
- Individuals may utilize turf areas in parks provided the area is not already permitted for an athletic event. If someone with a valid permit asks you to vacate an athletic field, please do so immediately. Turf areas are not to be utilized by outside vendors unless permission and/or permits have been granted.
- Any change, alteration, or modification of stated use must be approved in advance by the reservations office. Change or omission, may result in cancellation of use or change of the use area and/or fees. Any misrepresentation of use, or failure to comply with Use Guidelines, may result in expulsion from the park or facility of use and/or forfeiture of all fee(s) and deposit(s).
- No person, group or organization shall charge a fee, offer for sale, or accept a donation without prior approval from the Director of Parks and Recreation.
- Any misrepresentation of use or failure to clean-up or comply with park rules and regulations may result in expulsion from the park and/or forfeiture of all fees and deposits.
- The approved applicant and/or organization will be responsible for any damage or loss sustained to the grounds, building, furnishings, and equipment (or unusual clean-up required), as a result of the applicant's and/or organization's occupancy of the facility.
Picnic Cancellation Guidelines
- Cancellation requests received at least 10 working days prior to the permit date will incur a $20.00 processing fee.
- If a request to cancel is received less than 10 working days prior to the permit date, there will be no refund.
- If unforeseen conditions arise causing the Parks & Recreation Department to cancel your park permit, a full refund will be issued.
- Cancellation of Jumper or Alcohol or Equipment Rental Permits must be made no later than 5pm on the working day prior to your permit. After this time, no refunds will be given for supplemental permits that are not used.
- Drop-in Alcohol permits are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Rain Out Policy
- If rain makes the picnic area unusable, a full refund will be issued upon request and must be submitted within 5 working days following the date of the permit. Drop-in Alcohol permits are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Requests to cancel a permit due to the forecast of bad weather will not be granted without a $20.00 cancellation fee.