Come take a ride with us and see what our Patrol Officers do on a daily basis. This is a chance to see how law enforcement impacts our community.
- Print the Application Form and Release of Liability Agreement
- Return completed forms to:
Patrol Services Secretary
San Mateo Police Department
200 Franklin Parkway
San Mateo, CA 94403
Rules & Guidelines
- Everyone who participates in the Police Ride-Along Program must complete and sign both sides of the attached application form.
- Participants under the age of 18 must have the release and waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian.
- Persons under the age of 16 will be allowed to participate by special permission and when accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or a responsible adult.
- Approval and scheduling will be made through the Patrol Services secretary. The applicant will be notified via mail or telephone of final approval and confirming the date and time to ride unless other arrangements have been made.
- Applicants must present their approved application form and personal identification to the Patrol Services sergeant on the day they are scheduled to ride.
- Participant's attire should reflect good taste and a professional appearance.
- No applicant will be permitted to ride with an officer to whom he or she is married, related, dating or involved in a relationship.
- No one will be permitted to ride more than once without special permission. Approval can be obtained from the Patrol Services captain or on-duty Patrol Services sergeant.
- Because of the potential for police activity to escalate to a dangerous level, all participants will adhere to the directions and instructions of the officer. Participants will not be taken to the scene of potentially dangerous situations. Under some circumstances, it may be prudent for the officer to drop off a ride-along at a safe location until completion of the call.
- All riders must agree not to publicly discuss the names of persons involved in police matters. It is essential to sound police practices that statements or evidence gathered during criminal investigations be held confidential. No video, photographic, or recording devices are allowed without permission. Note taking is permitted.
- This program is scheduled Sunday through Thursday between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. Exceptions can be made with the approval of the Patrol Services captain or on-duty Patrol Services sergeant.