Housing Element 2023-2031
The City’s Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element is available for public review!
Required by state law, it includes an overview of housing policies and programs as well as identifies sites that can accommodate future growth to meet the City’s housing allocation.
Public Hearings and Availability of the 2023-2031 Draft Housing Element
The Draft Housing Element, a state-mandated plan for how the City of San Mateo can accommodate at least 7,000 new homes over the next 8 years, is now available for public review at City Hall and online. The Draft 2023-2031 Housing Element establishes goals, policies and programs to help address the City’s current and future housing needs. It is the City’s blueprint for housing-related decisions and sets an action plan for how to meet housing goals over the coming years.
The formal 30-day public review period closed on May 6, 2022
*But public input can still be submitted while the Housing Element is a draft*
How to Get Involved
All feedback is welcome. However, the Housing Plan, Site Inventory, and Fair Housing Summary within the "San Mateo 2023-2031 Housing Element - DRAFT" document may be of particular interest to the community.
- By email to: email@example.com. Please send email comments with subject line “Housing Element”.
- By mail to: Planning Manager, City of San Mateo, Planning Division, 330 West 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403
- Submit comment online.
Attend an upcoming public hearing:
- City Council – Special Meeting on Monday, May 23 at 5:30 p.m.
Please visit the City's Public Meeting Portal for meeting agendas, reports, information and access.
This Draft Housing Element document and the supporting appendices together are a very large publication. They are provided here in PDF format to help make it easier to access the information.
- Draft San Mateo 2023-2031 Housing Element (79 pages)
- Draft Housing Element Executive Summary (8 pages)
- Appendix A - Needs Analysis
- Appendix B - Constraints Analysis
- Appendix C - Housing Resources and Sites Inventory
- Appendix D - Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing Narrative
- Appendix E - Review of Prior Housing Element
- Appendix F - Public Participation
- Draft Housing Element Review
- Publish for 30-day Public Comment Period (April 6, 2022 - May 6, 2022)
- Planning Commission Review April 26, 2022
- City Council Review May 16, 2022
- State Housing and Community Development (HCD) Reviews
- First submittal to HCD for first review May 2022
- Subsequent HCD submittals and reviews (Summer/Fall 2022)
- Housing Element Adoption
- Planning Commission review and recommendation (Fall 2022)
- City Council for review and adoption (Fall 2022/Winter 2023)
- Housing Element Certification
- HCD final review and certification (January 2023)
This tab provides the materials, videos, and feedback from a variety of public meetings, informational community meetings, and events related to the Housing Element development.
Public Meetings and Community Outreach Events
- Joint Study Session City Council and Planning Commission - February 7, 2022: View Video, Presentation Slides
- Fair Housing Workshop - January 13, 2022:View Video, Presentation Slides, Discussion and Poll Summary
- City of San Mateo Housing Policy Workshop - November 2, 2021:View Video, Presentation Slides, Discussion and Poll Summary
- Community Needs and Housing Needs Workshop - Community Relations Commission - September 29, 2021: View Video, Presentation Slides, Speaker Notes
- Problemas de Vivienda en el Condado de San Mateo y Por Qué el Elemento de Viviendas es Importante
Lunes, Julio 26, 2021:Ver el vídeo y revise los materiales
- Questions and Answers from Intro to Housing Element Workshops 1, 2, and 3
- Intro to Housing Element 3 - Tuesday, May 4, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- All About RHNA - Thursday, April 22, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Introducción al Plan General y Elemento de Viviendas
sábado, 10 de abril, 2021: Ver el video, Presentación
- Intro to Housing Element 2 - Saturday, April 3, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Intro to Housing Element 1 - Tuesday, March 30, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Community Correspondence – Feedback received from the public via writing and email.
Additional Correspondence - Additional feedback received by the City as of February 11, 2022
- Community Engagement, Pop Ups and Intercepts – Feedback received from the public during popup outreach events and surveys distributed in person.
- Online Survey Results – Feedback received from the Housing Element Survey hosted on the City Website.
- City of San Mateo Builders Focus Group – Feedback received from local developers during a focus group on policies and programs to increase ease of constructing new housing.
- 21 Elements AFFH Resident Survey Findings – Feedback received from the public through a countywide survey on Fair Housing issues
- 21 Elements Listening Sessions – Summaries of public engagement events held at the San Mateo Countywide level for Housing Element Issues.
Housing Programs and Policy Email Updates
More information will be added to this page when updates become available. Please check back frequently or sign up for the Housing Programs and Policy Updates email list to keep current on the progress and be notified of community events.
Let's Talk Housing
Let's Talk Housing is a collaborative effort of all the jurisdictions in San Mateo County focused on getting community feedback that will shape our Housing Elements – a housing plan that is part of every General Plan. Through an ongoing initiative called 21 Elements, we are working together to learn from and listen to the community about their housing needs, helping to make sure everyone is involved in shaping our shared future.
General Plan Updates - Strive San Mateo
The City is updating its General Plan at the same time as it is drafting the new Housing Element. The City wants all residents, business persons, and community members to have a voice in the future of San Mateo. Visit the General Plan project website to see how you can get involved: http://strivesanmateo.org
Frequently Asked Questions & Background Information
For more information about the Housing Element, you may visit the FAQs online or download this PDF version.
In 2019, the City hosted “Community Conversations about Housing”. To read what community members talked about, see the reports from two workshops on the Community Conversations webpage and select 'Feedback and Reports'.