Housing Element 2023-2031
The update of the Housing Element 2023-2031 is just beginning! The plan will include an overview of housing policies and programs as well as identify locations that can accommodate the future growth of housing.
Let's Talk Housing is a collaborative effort of all the jurisdictions in San Mateo County focused on getting community feedback that will shape our Housing Elements – a housing plan that is part of every General Plan. Through an ongoing initiative called 21 Elements, we are working together to learn from and listen to the community about their housing needs, helping to make sure everyone is involved in shaping our shared future.
Participate in Countywide Community Meetings
The shortage of homes impacts all of us. That’s why now is the time to participate in conversations and plan together for current and future housing needs in all our communities. See below for a list on Upcoming Meetings & Events. You can also see Prior Meeting Videos & Materials in the other tab below.
- Intro to Housing Element 3 - Tuesday, May 4, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- All About RHNA - Thursday, April 22, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Intro to General Plan and Housing Element in Español/Spanish -
Saturday, April 10, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Intro to Housing Element 2 - Saturday, April 3, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
- Intro to Housing Element 1 - Tuesday, March 30, 2021: View Recording, Presentation Slides
More Events and Meetings to Come...stay tuned!
General Plan Updates - Strive San Mateo
The City is updating its General Plan at the same time as it is drafting the new Housing Element. The City wants all residents, business persons, and community members to have a voice in the future of San Mateo. Visit the General Plan project website to see how you can get involved: http://strivesanmateo.org
Housing Programs and Policy Email Updates
More information will be added to this page when updates become available. Please check back frequently or sign up for the Housing Programs and Policy Updates email list to keep current on the progress and be notified of community events.
In 2019, the City hosted “Community Conversations about Housing”. To read what community members talked about, see the reports from two workshops on the Community Conversations webpage and select 'Feedback and Reports'.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information about the Housing Element, you may review and select a question from the list below and you will be directed to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) answers. We have also provided a PDF version of the FAQs you may download.
- What is the Housing Element?
- What happens if the City does not have an approved Housing Element?
- How are the City’s housing needs determined?
- How was the (2023-2031) RHNA determined?
- Why is San Mateo’s RHNA higher than rest of County?
- Can the RHNA be challenged?
- How does the RHNA impact the General Plan Update?
- Does Measure Y impact the Housing Element?
- When will the housing will be built?