Online Permit Center
NOTIFICATION REGARDING CUSTOMER PAID CREDIT CARD SERVICE FEESAs of July 1, 2020, all credit or debit card payments will be subject to service fees. Credit and debit card processing companies typically charge 2-3% of the billed amount which is paid directly to the company, not the City. You can avoid these fees by paying with cash, check, or e-check.
Customer Self-Service (CSS) Online Permit Center
Our Online Permit Center let’s you submit building permit and planning applications securely online through our Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.
We now accept, review, receive payments, and issue planning entitlements and building permits through our online permit center.
These new service enhancements will ensure our residents and customers continue to receive all development review services while we adhere to the Shelter in Place Orders. Once the Orders are lifted, the online permit center services will continue to help the City serve you better.
- Get Started with Online Permitting
- Online Permit Application Types
- Virtual Over-the-Counter Building Plan Review
Getting Started is as Easy as 1-2-3
Register on our Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal - You’ll receive a confirmation email in your inbox – once confirmed you’re ready to get started. Already registered? Log in and look for the new Apply menu item across the top of the page.
- Complete an application, which includes submitting your plans, documents, and other project-related materials. Staff will review what’s submitted to ensure your file contains all the materials necessary for your project to be reviewed.
- Pay fees for your application. Once your file has everything needed, it will move on from being a pre-application to a full application. You will be asked to pay associated fees securely online via credit card. Then your project will be assigned to the appropriate staff for review. How to Submit a Payment through CSS
- Responding to comments & collaborating with staff. Through the CSS portal, you can receive comments, provide resubmittals, and other activities related to the review of your application. We encourage you to collaborate with staff via phone, email, and video conference. Once the plans are ready for issuance, we will issue the permit, all electronically.
What Types of Permit Applications Can Be Completed Online?
The following applications can be submitted online through our Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.
Save time by scheduling a virtual Building plan review for minor projects!
Plans for the following minor projects can be reviewed by Building Division staff through a virtual over-the-counter appointment. Plan Checkers are available Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. through our Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal.
Residential Minor Projects:
- Residential bathroom or kitchen remodels with no wall alteration.
- Window / Skylight / Door installations with new sizes or locations conforming to conventional design methods and with Title 24 energy documents ready.
- A single-story interior remodel/alteration not exceeding 500 square feet and conforming to conventional design methods. (no structural calculations are required)
- Brace and Bolt Program
- Pool demolitions/infill/abandon
- Single-family or Duplex pools/outdoor spas
- Photovoltaic systems under 10 kW without a tilt support framing system or battery storage.
- Minor accessory structures such as arbors, trellises (>50% open), etc.
- Deck work at ground level that does not exceed 500 square feet and conforms to California Residential Code.
- MEP permits: Mechanical Work (Furnace, Heating & Air Conditioning), Plumbing Permits (new gas appliances and locations), Electrical Permits (rewiring, new lights, outlets and switches), and Electric Vehicle Service Charger.
Commercial Minor Projects:
- Interior demolitions with no structural alterations
- Minor Accessibility improvements
Special conditions that require in-person plan review:
- Projects associated with code enforcement cases, stop work notices or active planning applications.
- Projects that have several recently opened Building permits.
- Projects that may have any zoning or public right-of-way impacts.
Ready to get started?
Questions? Contact the Building Department at (650) 522-7172 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Video Walk-Through: Virtual Over-the-Counter Building Plan Review
This video will take you through the steps involved in scheduling a Virtual Over-the-Counter Building Plan Review.
Video Walk-Through: Residential Building Permit
This video will take you through the steps involved in submitting a Residential Building Permit online. NOTE: The steps are similar for submitting a Commercial Building Permit online.
Video Walk-Through: Single-Family Planning Application
This video will take you through the steps involved in submitting a Single-Family Planning Application online. NOTE: The steps are similar for submitting a Multi-Family and Commercial Planning Application online.
Video Walk-Through: Plan Resubmittal
This video will take you through the steps involved in plan resubmittal through our online Customer Self-Service Portal (CSS). Also see: How to Resubmit Plans (.pdf)