Apply for City Council
Apply for the Vacancy on the San Mateo City Council
Application period: Application Due by 5:00 p.m. on December 7, 2022 .
The San Mateo City Council is seeking applications to fill a vacancy for the City Council position vacated by Diane Papan for an interim term from December 4, 2022, through December 2, 2024.
The Council will be looking for an individual who has a thorough understanding of the issues facing the City and who can demonstrate a history of active civic leadership, community service and engagement in San Mateo. In addition to regular Council business, the individual selected must be available to actively participate as a Council liaison to numerous external agencies and organizations as well as San Mateo Commissions.
- Must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible
- Must be a qualified elector (registered voter) and resident of the City of San Mateo, continuously, for at least 30 days preceding the time of the appointment.
- The application also requires the filing of a Statement of Economic Interest (Form 700)
Interested applicants for the City Council position must:
- Submit an application, including concise responses to the supplemental questions, by 5:00pm on Wednesday, December 7, 2022. Applications are also available at the City Clerk's Office - City Hall, 330 West 20th Avenue. All applications and responses to the questions, will be posted on the City’s website page for Council vacancy.
- Appear at a Special Council Meeting on December 12, 2022 at San Mateo City Hall Council Chambers at 6:00pm. Applicant will be asked to make a 10-minute timed public presentation. Council may ask clarifying questions on responses to the application and supplemental questions.
- The City Council will consider all candidates and make an appointment by ballot at this Special Meeting on December 12, 2022.
Any public comment or endorsements on behalf of candidates, via email, regular mail, or in writing are to be sent to the City Clerk at 330 W. 20th Avenue, San Mateo, CA 94403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Application (PDF fillable)
Deadline: Wednesday, December 7, 2022 at 5:00pm
For additional information, please contact City Clerk Patrice Olds at email@example.com or by calling (650) 522-7040.
*When filing a statement of economic interests in connection with your candidacy for local office, investments, interests in real property, and business positions held on the date of filing your declaration of candidacy must be reported. In addition, income (including loans, gifts, and travel payments) received during the 12 months prior to the date of filing your declaration of candidacy is reportable.