PA19-033 City-Owned Downtown Affordable Housing and Parking Garage Sites
The project is scheduled for formal review by the Planning Commission on July 14, 2020.
The Planning Commission will be providing comment and recommendation to City Council regarding the Initial Study-Mitigated Negative Declaration and the necessary entitlements for the project including a Site Plan and Architectural Review (SPAR) for the construction of the residential building and parking garage, and an on-street loading zone; a Site Development Permit Application (SDPA) for the removal of major vegetation (i.e. trees); and Special Use Permit (SUP) for the parking garage.
Meeting information and participation instructions are provided below, and further informational details are under Related Documents section.
Planning Commission - Public Hearing
Date: Tuesday, July 14, 2020
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: City Hall, City of San Mateo, Council Chambers
- Watch Public Meeting on TV/Cable: Comcast/Channel 27, Wave/Channel 26, or AT&T/Channel 99.
- Watch Public Meeting Online:
- Provide Public Comment: Please go to the City’s Agendas & Minutes Public Meeting Portal for directions on how to provide public comment before and during the meeting.
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – April 28, 2020
- Neighborhood Meeting: Minutes Summary – February 24, 2020
- Neighborhood Meeting: Presentation – February 24, 2020
- City Council (Study Session): Meeting Materials and Video – February 3, 2020
- City Council (Study Session): Meeting Materials and Video – November 18, 2019
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – April 23, 2019
- Neighborhood Meeting: Minutes Summary – March 7, 2019
- Neighborhood Meeting: Presentation – March 7, 2019
- Density Bonus Letter
- Downtown San Mateo Opportunity Sites Parking Study
- General Plan Traffic Analysis – June 15, 2020
- Notice of Intent + Planning Commission Public Hearing (MidPen Downtown Affordable Housing Sites project) - May 26, 2020
- Notice of Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) & Notice of Intent to Request Release of Funds (RROF) - May 26, 2020
- MidPen Initial Study (33.6MB)
- Appendix A - Air Quality & GHG Assessment (6.2MB)
- Appendix B - Arborist Report (1.5MB)
- Appendix C - Section 106 (68.4MB)
- Appendix D - Geotechnical (7.2MB)
- Appendix E - Phase 1 - 4th Ave (47MB)
- Appendix E - Phase 1 - 5th Ave (21.7MB)
- Appendix F - Phase 2 Both Parcels (7.3MB)
- Appendix G - Env Site Characterization (9.7MB)
- Appendix H - CEQA Noise Report (2.8MB)
- Appendix I - CEQA Transportation Analysis
- Appendix J - TDM Plan_MidPen (1.6MB)
- Appendix K - Species List (.3MB)
- Appendix L - HUD Explosive Survey (20.7MB)
- Appendix M - SHPO Request for Concurrence (75.6MB)
- Appendix N - SHPO Concurrence (.9MB)
- Project Plans: (Current) – June 15, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – April 17, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – March 4, 2020
- Project Plans: (Conceptual Plans) – February 24, 2020
- Project Plans: (Prior) – July 11, 2019
The current city-owned redevelopment sites consists of two parcels with a total of 235 surface parking stalls. The project proposes to utilize the provisions of AB 1763, which allows for increased building height and density for housing developments located within a half-mile of a major transit stop and offering 100 percent of the total units to lower income households. The project as proposed consists of two buildings located on adjacent parcels; a seven-story residential building comprised of 225 affordable rental units at 480 E. 4th Avenue; and a five-level, above-ground parking garage located at 400 E. 5th Avenue that will provide a minimum of 164 private residential parking stalls and 532 public parking stalls. The City Council selected MidPen Housing Corporation through a competitive RFP process in April 2018, to develop these sites.
REVISED: June 18, 2020
480 E. 4th Avenue and
400 E. 5th Avenue
MidPen Housing Corp.
303 Vintage Park Dr., Suite 250
Foster City, CA 94404