Bay Meadows II SPAR #1 STA 1 & 5 Modification
The Planning Commission held a public hearing on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 7:00 PM and approved (3-0) the following:
- Addendum to the Previously Certified Final Environmental Impact Report for the San Mateo Rail Corridor Plan & Bay Meadows Specific Plan Amendment and Previously Certified Final EIR (4-18-05, 6-6-05, & 11-7-05);
- Tentative Parcel Map to merge two parcels into one parcel on Station Block 5; and,
- Modification of previously approved (PA 07-054) Site Plan and Architectural Review Planning Application.
- Station 1 Proposed Plans (02/08/2018)
- Station 5 Proposed Plans (02/08/2018)
- Station 1 Proposed Plans (11/17/2017)
- Station 5 Proposed Plans (11/17/2017)
Additional Related Documents:
- Parking Management Plan (08/24/2018)
- Traffic Management Plan (08/24/2018)
- Illustrative Plan
- EIR Addendum #5
- Hexagon Memorandums
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials – September 25, 2018
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Video – September 25, 2018
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – April 10, 2018
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Video – April 10, 2018
- Neighborhood Meeting: November 20, 2017
- The project proposes to modify the previously approved Bay Meadows Phase II SPAR #1 planning application PA07-054 (approved by City Council on April 8, 2008) for two office buildings.
- The approved Station 1 block office building will be modified to increase the office space from 92,267 sq. ft. to approximately 184,205 sq. ft., remove 5,794 sq. ft. of ground floor commercial space, and eliminate a freestanding parking garage.
- The approved Station 5 office building will be modified to increase the office space from 98,338 sq. ft. to approximately 183,283 sq. ft., and reduce the ground floor commercial space from 4,098 sq. ft. to 2,378 sq. ft. A Tentative Parcel Map is proposed to merge two parcels into one parcel on Station Block 5.
- Station Block 1 is located toward the northeast corner of South Delaware Street and East 28th Avenue and is approximately 2.8 acres.
- Station Block 5 is located at the southeast tip of South Delaware Street and E. 31st Avenue/Franklin Parkway and consists of two parcels totaling 2.6 acres.
- The sites are currently vacant and being used for either temporary surface parking, temporary Caltrain parking, or construction trailers for the nearby construction.
The original SPAR approvals for Station Block 1 and Station Block 5 included the following:
- Station Block 1 - Single 52’-8” tall four-story building containing 92,267 square feet of office space and 5,794 of ground floor active commercial use and a 6-story freestanding parking garage with 718 parking stalls. The office and ground floor commercial uses required 265 parking stalls. The 453 surplus stalls were for off-site parking for Station Blocks 2, 3, and 4; and for the office, retail, and restaurant employees in the Mixed-Use Blocks.
- Station Block 5 - Single 54’-2” tall four-story building containing 98,338 square feet of office space and 4,098 of ground floor “active” commercial use and an attached above and below-grade parking garage with 285 parking stalls. This block also reserved a one-acre site for the Caltrain Joint Powers Board (JPB) to build a parking structure that was anticipated to contain 500 parking stalls utilized by Caltrain riders, as required by a Condition of Approval.
The proposed modifications under review are as follows:
- Station Block 1 –
- Increase the office building in size from 92,267 square feet to approximately 184,205 square feet.
- Eliminate the 5,794-square-foot ground floor active commercial use (not required by the Specific Plan Amendment).
- Replace the 6-story freestanding parking garage with four levels of parking (two below grade and two at/above grade) containing 444 parking stalls.
- Station Block 5 –
- Increase the office building in size from 98,338 square feet to approximately 183,283 square feet.
- Reduce the ground floor commercial use from 4,098 square feet to 2,378 square feet.
- Eliminate the one-acre lot set aside for a possible future Caltrain parking garage and provide 749 parking stalls on this site, an increase of 464 parking stalls.
The total increase in office square footage proposed is 176,883 square feet. This proposed increase would bring the total approved office space at the Bay Meadows Phase II project site to approximately 944,000 square feet. This is approximately 306,000 square feet below the maximum approved base office space program of 1.25 million square feet established by the Specific Plan.
Overall Project Approvals
The Bay Meadows Phase II development program permits a maximum of 1,250 residential units, 1,250,000 square feet of office space, and 150,000 square feet of active ground floor commercial space. At this time, entitlements have been approved to permit the collective development of approximately 766,000 square feet of office space, 1,145 residential units, 93,000 square feet of active commercial space, and a 450-student private high school (134,345 square feet). To date, roughly two-thirds of the project has been completed or is currently under construction, totaling approximately 777 housing units (consisting of 336 apartment units and 441 ownership units (townhomes and single-family homes)), 542,000 square feet of office space, 26,824 square feet of active ground floor commercial space, and the first and second phases of the private high school. Overall the entitlements approved are all under the maximum permitted program. Specifically, the office floor area is currently below the maximum allowed by 483,620 square feet.
More general information is available at: https://www.cityofsanmateo.org/3788/Bay-Meadows-Phase-II
For reference, please see the following documents:
- Bay Meadows Phase II Design Guidelines and Development Standards
- Bay Meadows Phase II Specific Plan Amendment
- Rail Corridor Transit-Oriented Development Plan
City Contact Information