- Permits & Business License
Permits & Business License Portal
NOTIFICATION REGARDING CUSTOMER PAID CREDIT CARD SERVICE FEESAs of July 1, 2020, all credit or debit card payments will be subject to service fees. Credit and debit card processing companies typically charge 2-3% of the billed amount which is paid directly to the company, not the City. You can avoid these fees by paying with cash, check, or e-check.
Introducing Our New Self-Service Online Permit Center
Our Online Permit Center let’s you submit building permit and planning applications securely online through our Citizen Self-Service Portal (CSS).
We now accept, review, receive payments, and issue planning entitlements and building permits through our online permit center.
The Citizen Self-Service (CSS) Portal let’s you search records by address, date range, permit number, or parcel number – you can also use the interactive map search feature.
Develop or Renovate a PropertyThese documents are helpful to property owners to ensure that the required components are ready for inspection. For help with building inspections and permits, please call (650) 522-7172.
- Accessory Buildings
- Add a 2nd Story to a Single-Family Residence
- Build a New Single-Family Residence
- Building Permits
- Construction and Demolition Debris Ordinance
- Develop or Add to a Commercial Building
- Develop or Add to a Multi-Family Residence
- Dock Permit (also see: Encroachment Permit)
- Electrical Permits
- Install Sewer Lateral or Cleanout
- Public Right-of-Way Changes
- Wastewater Discharge Permit
Get a Parking PermitThese documents are for residents and business owners looking to purchase parking permits. For help with parking permits, please call (650) 522-7300.
Plan a Special Event or Picnic
Looking to hold or advertise a birthday celebration, family picnic, block party, or other special event in San Mateo? For help with special event permits, please call (650) 522-7300.
Provide Outdoor Seating
Interested in placing outside tables and chairs at your place of business? Outdoor dining can be a great way to encourage walking, add liveliness to city streets and promote local economic development. For help with outdoor seating permits, please call (650) 522-7300.
Remodel My House
From bathroom and kitchen remodels to backyard BBQs, pools, and spas we’ve got you covered for all your home improvement and repair needs. For help with existing building remodels, please call (650) 522-7172.
Remove or Plant a Tree
All public trees and many privately-owned trees require a permit prior to pruning or removal. Would you like a tree planted in front of your home for free? For help with tree permits, please call (650) 522-7420.
Replace or Repair My Sidewalk or Driveway
Sidewalks that are in poor condition lessen the attractiveness of a neighborhood and contribute to a decline in sidewalk safety and ease-of-use. Any work performed in the public right of way requires an encroachment permit - for example: installation or repair of sidewalk, curb and/or gutter, or driveway approach; and installation of sidewalk under-drain. For help with sidewalk and driveway repairs, please call (650) 522-7300.
Start or Register a Business
Starting your business can be rewarding but it is important to successfully navigate the requirements for starting a business to ensure your success. For help starting or registering your business, please call (650) 522-7113.
- Address Assignment Application
- Banner Permit Application
- Block Party Permit
- Building Division Permits
- Business License
- Concealed Weapon Permit
- Construction and Demolition Recycling
- Contractor Permits & Applications
- Development Impact Fees
- Driveway Red Tipping
- Encroachment Permit
- Field Use Permit
- Film Permit Application
- Fire Safety Permits
- General Curb Marking Program
- Heritage Tree Permits
- Large Project Planning Application Guide (Formal Pre-Application) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Multi-Family Dwelling Planning Application and Guide
- Outdoor Sidewalk Tables and Chairs Permit
- Parking Permit - Downtown
- Parking Permit - Residential
- Picnic Reservation
- Planning Division Resources
- Public Works Permits
- San Mateo Countywide Water Pollution Prevention Program
- Single-Family Dwelling Planning Application and Guide
- Special Community Event Permit
- Stop Sign Request Form
- Street Tree Permits
- Traffic Calming Application
- Tree Work Application (for Removal/Pruning Permits)
- Wastewater Discharge Permits
- Zoning & Ordinances @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>