After-School and Preschool Programs
Registration for the 2019/20 school year is available now!
San Mateo’s award-winning Building Blocks Preschool Program has been recognized as an outstanding program and we have a loyal following of San Mateo parents. We provide a safe, nurturing and creative environment for your child. For complete and detailed information on any of the preschool classes, see our Activity Guide.
Our preschool program benefits include:
- Building Block approach: The structure of our program provides a stable and continuous learning environment for your child from ages 1.5 to five years.
- Highly qualified teachers: Our professional preschool teachers are educated in early childhood development.
- Low teacher-child ratios: There are no more than 8 children per teacher.
- Great value: Building Blocks Preschool is moderately priced to be accessible to all.
- Multiple locations: Programs are located at four facilities for your convenience.
- New Family Information (English)
- New Family Information (Spanish)
- All Families Registration Form (English)
- All Families Registration Form (Spanish)
- Tiny Tots & Pre-K (English)
- Tiny Tots & Pre-K (Spanish)
- Friends and Me Parent Packet (English)
- Friends and Me Parent Packet (Spanish)
You and your child can explore preschool together in this first step of our building blocks program. The classes are a fun time to get your little one used to the idea of preschool with singing, sharing, and arts and crafts. The classes focus on:
- Reinforcing parents as teachers.
- Building socialization skills.
- Exploration with a teacher.
- Fostering independence.
- Easing separation anxiety through self-fulfilling activities.
- Continued building of movement and social skills.
- Low ratio - six students per teacher.
This class is the next step after Friends and Me and is designed for toilet-trained children. It provides a vibrant and nurturing environment for your child to develop:
- Social and cognitive skills.
- Gross motor and fine motor skills.
- Pre-academic concepts such as the alphabet, colors, phonics and numbers.
This last program in our series and is designed as a transition to kindergarten. Pre-kindergarten focuses on:
- Continued development of social skills and building self esteem.
- Providing a more structured environment in preparation for kindergarten.
- Incorporating state recommended academic benchmarks.
- Creating a safe setting to develop age-appropriate skills.
We offer fee assistance for qualifying San Mateo residents.