Essex at Central Park
- On August 28, 2018, by a vote of 5-0, the Planning Commission approved the Site Plan and Architectural Review (SPAR) for construction of a new mixed-use building, Site Development Planning Application (SDPA) Review for tree removal and Vesting Tentative Map for 80 condominium units and associated common area. Building Plans have not been submitted.
- The City of San Mateo has prepared an Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration, which identifies and discusses potential environmental impacts on the projects and proposed mitigation measures to be incorporated in the project to eliminate any potentially significant impacts.
- Project Plans: (Current) – October 23, 2017
- A Mitigated Negative Declaration has been prepared for this project and can be viewed online.
- Attachment 12: Arborist Report
- Attachment 13: Phase I Environmental Site Assessment
- Attachment 14: Traffic Impact Analysis
- Attachment 15: TDM Plan
- Attachment 16: Green house Gas Study
- Attachment 17: Design Review Report
- Attachment 18: LEED Checklist-Project Plans
- Attachment 19: Geotechnical Report
- Attachment 20: Climate Action Plan Checklist-Project Plans
- Attachment 21: Parking Management Plan
- Attachment 22: Wind Study
- Attachment 23: Air Quality Impact Assessment
- Landscape Plans: October 24, 2017
- Civil Drawings: October 23, 2017
- Project Plans: (Current) October 23, 2017
- Project Plans: (Prior) March 20, 2017
- Elevations: November 3, 2016
- Site Plan: November 3, 2016
- Landscape: November 3, 2016
- Lighting: October 31, 2016
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials – August 28, 2018
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Video – August 28, 2018
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Meeting Materials – August 14, 2018
- Planning Commission (Public Hearing): Video – August 14, 2018
- Parks and Recreation Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials – December 6, 2017
- Planning Commission (Study Session): Meeting Materials (PA#13-066) – February 25, 2014
- Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting: – February 5, 2014
- Neighborhood Meeting: Meeting Notes – January 23, 2014
A Planning Application has been submitted for the development of a five-story retail and residential housing located at the southern side of the block bordered by San Mateo Drive and 4th Avenue to the north across from Central Park’s baseball diamond and tennis courts. The project will utilize the existing surface parking lot to develop 80 new residences, which range from one to three-bedroom apartments over a garage and 7,000 square feet of retail. The project will provide six (6) Below Market Rate housing units for Very-Low income households. All dwellings will be for rent.
The project includes new amenities such as a resident-only roof deck, resident and public bicycle parking, electric vehicle charging, pedestrian friendly streetscapes, drought tolerant landscapes and a solar ready rooftop. The project is comprised of one level of below grade parking, ground floor retail and residential lofts, a parking level with ramp connection to the adjacent rooftop and three levels of residential units. The units will have views overlooking Central Park or the intimately scaled 3rd and 4th Street retail. Essex will replace the existing 97 surface parking spaces and create an additional 139 spaces, for 236 on-site parking spaces. The project will also include a public passageway through the middle of the site, creating a direct and covered pedestrian connection from Central Park to the adjacent shopping center.
The Essex at Central Park will include 10% of the 60 units permitted under the City's Zoning code as Below Market Rate housing units for Very-Low income households. Pursuant to Section 65915(b)(1)(B) of the Density Bonus Law, the project qualifies for a density bonus of up to 32.5%, for an additional 20 units, and two (2) development incentives or concessions. Essex is not requesting any concession or incentives for this project. The project will utilize the State's parking ratio, as permitted by State Law.
Essex Property Trust
1100 Park Place, Suite 200
San Mateo, CA 94403
City Contact Information