San Mateo Fire Department Cadet Program
About Cadet Program
The Cadet Program is a work experience program in conjunction with San Mateo Community College’s Cooperative Education Programs. The one year program allows students to earn college credits by ride-along experience and required volunteer time for California State Firefighter I Certificate. The
Cadets can earn 1 unit of college credit for every 60 hours of participation. Up to 4 units a semester can be earned toward degree.
Cadet Program Requirements
- Prospective Candidates must possess an Emergency Medical Technician Certificate
- Currently enrolled or have completed an accredited Firefighter I Academy
- Possess a valid Driver's License
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Cadets must ride-along minimum of 48 hours per month and complete 5 hours per month in either: Fire Administration, Fire Prevention Bureau, or Fire Training Division.
- Candidates must submit a San Mateo City Employment Application and resume between October 1st and October 15th.
- Applications and resumes shall be mailed or hand delivered to the following address:
San Mateo Fire Department Administration Office
C/O Cadet Program
1040 East Hillsdale Blvd.
Foster City, CA 94404
- Candidates that possess the required qualifications will be invited to participate in a structured oral interview.
Please call (650) 522-7900 or email