Change a life...yours!
Project Read, the adult literacy program of the San Mateo Public Library, has provided free, confidential, literacy tutoring to adults since 1985.
Volunteer tutors work with adults who want to improve their basic reading and writing skills, enabling them to achieve personal learning goals, like reading a story to a child, voting for the first time, or completing a job application form.
Project Read serves residents (and those who work in) San Mateo, Burlingame, and Hillsborough.
Project Read works!
With increased skills and self-confidence, Project Read students make positive, powerful changes in their everyday lives as family members, workers, and community members. The program raises literacy levels—and the quality of life—in the City of San Mateo.
Project Read volunteers are trained to succeed in tutoring!
Volunteers attend an engaging training workshop and are well-prepared before being paired with an adult literacy student. Tutors receive individualized support and participate in ongoing learning opportunities throughout their experience in Project Read.
Project Read Tutors:
- Complete Project Read’s training workshop
- Commit to at least 6 months of tutoring, although tutors can stay much longer!
- Are available to meet with a student at the Library twice a week for one to two hours each session
- Bring flexibility, patience, curiosity, and a spirit of lifelong learning to tutoring
Please contact the program office at (650) 522-7848 for more information about tutor training.
Fill out the Volunteer Tutor Interest Form Online
Project Read Students:
- Are adults older than 16 and not enrolled in high school
- Want to improve their basic reading and writing skills
- Can speak comfortably in English over the phone and in-person
- Thrive with individualized attention outside a classroom setting
Fill out the New Student Interest Form Online.
For more information please call (650) 522-7848.