27.77 Design Review Standards for Service Stations
27.77.020 Design Review Standards.
27.77.030 Accessory Uses and Merchandising.
27.77.040 Lot Area.
27.77.010 INTENT. It is the intent of the following planning policy to insure that all service stations in the City of San Mateo be constructed and operated in a manner appropriate to the various districts and without detriment to the appearance of the immediate vicinity and to the city as a whole.
This policy is intended to represent minimum standards of aesthetic suitability and to establish minimum standards for development of service stations in the City of San Mateo.
Meeting these design review standards shall not be construed as a sole justification for the granting of a special permit. All other requirements of the zoning ordinance must be met for review and consideration by the Planning Commission. Any action by the Planning Commission is subject to review by the City Council. (Ord. 1989-21 § 1 (part), 1989).
27.77.020 DESIGN REVIEW STANDARDS.
(1) Not more than two (2) service stations shall be located on any given street intersection, unless a finding is made that the general health, safety and/or welfare of the community will not be adversely affected and that the use will not cause injury or disturbance to adjacent property by traffic, noise, or otherwise.
(2) At new service stations there shall be a minimum setback of 15 feet from any right of way for any gasoline pump island.
(3) The use of service station driveways shall be designed to discourage use by adjacent shopping center traffic.
(4) Off-street access points between the service station and an adjacent shopping center shall be provided.
(5) Grease bays shall face away from any street if feasible as determined by the Zoning Administrator. (Ord. 1989-21 § 1 (part), 1989).
27.77.030 ACCESSORY USES AND MERCHANDISING.
(a) All business shall be conducted within a completely enclosed building, except for service to automobiles normally conducted at the pump islands and other designated service areas. Minor automotive repair, washing and lubrication operations shall not take place outside the building. Major body work is not permitted as an accessory use. Lubricating oil cabinets and like accessory items may be located on, or adjacent to, each pump island.
(b) Storage of travel trailers, rental trailers, car rentals, garden supplies and other similar uses of a storage or sales nature not permitted as a primary use in the zoning district in question shall not be allowed as an accessory use to the service station.
(c) All retail merchandise shall be stored within the building including tires, mufflers or similar merchandise.
(d) All hazardous and toxic waste shall be disposed of in accordance with County of San Mateo Health Department regulations.
(e) Only vehicles awaiting service shall be permitted to be stored on the premises, with the exception of employee or customer parking, and rental parking utilizing spaces other than those required by chapter 27.64.
(f) Parking of commercial vehicles shall be prohibited unless allowed in the zoning district as a permitted use.
(g) Restrooms shall be provided for all service station customers. (Ord. 1989-21 § 1 (part), 1989).
27.77.040 LOT AREA. Every service station erected on a zoning plot not formerly used as a service station shall be required to have a minimum lot area of 20,000 square feet unless a finding is made that the general health, safety and/or welfare of the community will not be adversely affected and that the use will not cause injury or disturbance to adjacent property by traffic, noise, or otherwise. (Ord. 1989-21 § 1 (part), 1989).
(a) Landscaping shall be provided as follows:
(1) A four-foot minimum width landscaped strip along all street frontages, except for necessary driveways.
(2) A raised curb of at least six inches in height, or a raised planter, shall be provided along all of the street property lines except for driveway openings.
(3) The triangular corner area between driveways near the intersection shall be planted. Such plant materials shall not exceed 30 inches in height, excepting trees trimmed to the trunk for a height of 8 feet above the top of the nearest curb or pavement edge.
(4) A solid wall or solid fence shall be provided between the station plot and any adjacent residential district. The wall or fence shall be 6 feet in height except within 25 feet of a street intersection line, the height in this area to be 3 feet.
(5) Not less than ten percent of the lot area must be devoted to landscaping. Above stated items are included in this percentages.
(6) Permanent irrigation facilities shall be provided for all landscaping.
(7) Landscaping shall conform with the city's development landscape regulations. (Ord. 1995-8 § 12, 1995; Ord. 1989-21 § 1 (part), 1989).