The San Mateo Police Department’s Neighborhood Watch program is overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors comprised of residents and Police staff.
The Board hopes to have at least 3 residents from each Area with the goal of achieving geographic diversity in its representation.
Requirements of a Board Member
- Be a resident of San Mateo
- Be part of a Neighborhood Watch block
- Have an interest in serving your community
- Have the time to fully participate on the Board
Duties of a Board Member
Although by-laws and a work program help guide the Board, its role continues to evolve and is open to change.
- Act in an advisory capacity to Police staff
- Provide coordination of the Neighborhood Watch program
- Contribute ideas for the “Neighbors’ Watch” newsletter
- Help plan special events, such as National Night Out (NNO)
- Attend meetings, generally held quarterly
Board members are asked to commit to attending all Board meetings (approximately four a year), general meetings (one a quarter), and participate fully in their role. National Night Out, which occurs the first Tuesday in August, is also a main activity for Board members.