Commercial Linkage Fee
City staff is now in the process of developing and implementing the "Affordable Housing Commercial Linkage Fee" which the City Council passed on September 6, 2016. Learn More
The fee will be assessed to all new non-residential construction, based on the principle that these new spaces will increase the number of workers in the City, which creates a demand for housing.
The fee will apply to all new commercial project planning applications that are not deemed complete by the effective date.
Basic provisions include:
- Establish fees per square foot of $10/hotel, $5/retail and $25/office for all net new commercial square footage in excess of 5,000sf.
- Payment due at time of building permit issuance.
- Exemptions exist for public uses such as hospitals, nonprofit and government facilities, as well as churches, schools and child care centers.
- An option to provide construction of housing units in lieu of a fee payment.
- Provides 25% discount to developers who sign Standard Wage Agreement with City – discount issued as refund at Certificate of Occupancy.
The Specifics of implementation of this ordinance are still being worked out.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
If you have any questions about the fee or would like to know where the City is at in its implementation, please contact:
Housing Division Manager