Transition to Contracted Service Model
Graffiti creates blight and brings unwanted activity to any community. San Mateo is not alone in having its share of graffiti to remove, and keeping the city free of graffiti is an ongoing process that takes dedicated resources. Due to increased requests for graffiti removal and competing demands on staff, the City recently transitioned to a contracted services model for graffiti removal services.
Graffiti Protective Coatings (GPC), was selected through a competitive process and recommended to the City Council earlier this year. GPC partners with cities throughout the Bay Area and enhances City’s graffiti removal program by making it more effective and cost efficient.
The City’s Graffiti Removal Program focuses on:
- Providing community members with the tools to easily report graffiti including the mySanMateo mobile app and 24-hour hotline (888) 886-0766.
- Removing graffiti from public property within 48-hours after receiving the report
- Removing reported gang, hate crime, and/or inflammatory graffiti within 24-hours after receiving the report
- Providing proactive patrol to identify and remove unreported graffiti on City property.
- Collaborating with the Police Department to help identify and hold perpetrators accountable.