Downtown San Mateo Sidewalk Repairs
Starting September 16th, the 2013 Downtown Sidewalk Repair Project will begin. The City Council approved the contract for JRR Construction, Inc. to fix many damaged sidewalks that are a liability to the property owners throughout downtown San Mateo.
Downtown property owners, although currently not fiscally responsible for the repairs, are still liable for injuries resulting from the sidewalks. California Streets and Highway Code Sections 5600 et seq. states that owners of lots or portions of lots fronting on any portion of a public street, shall maintain the sidewalk in such condition that it will not endanger persons or property or interfere with the public convenience in the use of those works or areas.
Although this necessary project may temporarily disrupt business, the City is taking efforts to minimize the length of the project and the amount it impacts businesses. Work is scheduled to take place during common work hours before 4pm on weekdays and Saturdays. Saturday work was discussed with the Downtown San Mateo Association, and they had concurred that it is best of all interest parties to reduce the construction schedule prior to the holiday season.
- Sidewalk construction is scheduled to finish before Thanksgiving and the Holiday season
- Safe and aesthetically-pleasing sidewalks funded by the City can be enjoyed by downtown residents, visitors, and business and property owners
- Addressing the many necessary sidewalk improvements at once minimizes both the duration and cost of construction.
- The project plan avoids road closures and traffic detours.
- The city will work with the businesses to provide adequate signage and pedestrian detours around closed sidewalk portions.
- Temporary limited parking in spots adjacent to sidewalk segments under repair
- Sidewalk closures for some streets in need of many repairs
- Construction times: 7:00am – 4:00pm
- Project duration: September 16 – November 21, 2013 (may finish earlier)
Questions & Comments
If you have additional questions or input, please email Public Works at
Sign Up for Future Updates
Please share your contact information through Notify Me
. By sharing your information, we can update you on future opportunities to stay engaged in the outreach effort.