Election and Voter Information
Register to Vote
- Voter registration information is available through the San Mateo County Election website: ShapetheFuture.org
- California Voter Registration Information: http://registertovote.ca.gov/
- The San Mateo City Clerk’s Office provides voter registration forms during office hours:
Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm.
We can assist you in locating your voting precinct as Election Day approaches and on Election Day.
General Municipal Election
General Municipal Elections to elect council members are held in San Mateo on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November of each odd-numbered year.
The nomination period opened on Monday July 13, 2015 to Friday August 7, 2015 at 5:00pm, and is extended if an incumbent does not file until Wednesday August 12, 2015.
If you decide to become a candidate for City Council, please contact the City Clerk as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for review and issuance of a Candidate packet. (650) 522-7042 or .
>>More information on Running for City Council<<
In 2005, the City Council adopted campaign contribution limits to City Candidate campaigns. Individual contributions cannot exceed $250 and organization contributions cannot exceed $500. Additionally, a candidate cannot personally make a loan to their campaign an amount which exceeds $15,000.
Elections - Role of the City Clerk
The City Clerk is responsible for the administration of all municipal elections by:
- Serving as Elections Official and issuing nomination papers to potential candidates;
- Serving as Elections Official for the initiative and referendum process;
- Serving as Filing Officer for Campaign Statements and Statements of Economic Interests as required by the Political Reform Act and administered by the Fair Political Practices Commission (www.fppc.ca.gov);
- Maintaining the City’s election history.