Clean streets provide a sense of order, safety, and overall, make our community more appealing. Street sweeping is an important service we provide to our community. Clean streets lead to a better quality of life for all who live and work in San Mateo.
Street Sweeping provides two primary benefits to the residents and businesses of our city.
- The collection and removal of small amounts of paper, leaves, and other visible debris that collect in gutters
- The removal of metal particles and other hazardous waste left by passing vehicles
We call it street sweeping, but what we are actually doing is vacuuming the street. The City of San Mateo uses Regenerative Air Sweepers, which vacuum up particles, rather than sweep them into a holding chamber. We use these vacuums because it is the most efficient way to get the invisible particulate matter from automobiles out of the street, and keep it out of the storm water drain system as we are required to do by state and federal law.
Help Keep Our City Clean
You can do your part to keep the city clean by disposing of your garbage in the proper receptacles
- Recycle in the recycling container
- Compost in the compost bin
- Other waste, goes in the waste bin (and to a landfill)
Trash is everyone’s problem, from the manufacturer, to the consumer, to the recycling and waste disposal agencies and the policy makers. It’s not enough anymore to simply not litter. Now we need to get even smarter about the beginning of the waste stream.