Strategic Direction & Goals
The Strategic Directions express the Council’s Vision in terms of key targets that must be accomplished to achieve the Vision. These Strategic Directions include:
- Safe, Clean, and Attractive Neighborhoods
- Ensure higher levels of public safety, especially in neighborhoods under the most stress.
- Enhance the quality of residential neighborhoods by encouraging improved appearance and more community involvement.
- Successful Businesses and a Solid Tax Base
- Increase the economic vitality of the City with strengthened ties between business and the general community.
- A Community Where Residents Can Flourish and Youth are Nurtured
- Continue to encourage involvement of youth in our community by improving programs for children, pre-teens, and teens.
- Orderly Planning, Development, and Functioning of the Community
- Support future growth and redevelopment in Downtown, other commercial areas, and along the transportation corridor to ensure a well-planned environment and promote a high quality of life.
- Continue efforts to increase entry - level housing, strive for a balance between jobs and housing, and provide incentives for City employees to live in San Mateo.
- Continue to invest in the long-term infrastructure needs of the City and create an identity for San Mateo that generates civic pride and responsibility.
- An Open, Participative, and Effective City Government
- Continue to provide cost-effective and quality services that are accessible to all segments of the San Mateo community.
- Maintain City finances where expenses do not exceed ongoing revenues.
- Expand community outreach and participation opportunities for all who live and/or work in San Mateo.
- Continue to cooperate with schools and other agencies to improve services, strengthen partnerships, avoid duplication and decrease costs.
- Develop and maintain an organization that values employee participation and a sense of ownership.