City Council Vision
In order to achieve its vision, the City Council has resolved to:
- Continue to support redevelopment in major and neighborhood commercial areas.
- Ensure higher levels of public safety, especially in neighborhoods under the most stress.
- Enhance the quality of residential neighborhoods, including particularly improved appearance and more community involvement.
- Improve programs for youth, pre-teens, and teens.
- Maintain City finances where expenses do not exceed ongoing revenues.
- Increase the economic vitality of the City with strengthened ties between business and the general community.
- Continue to provide cost-effective and quality services that are accessible to all segments of the San Mateo community.
- Provide many different communication vehicles to appeal to all groups and expand community outreach and participation opportunities by all persons who live and or work in San Mateo, including City employees.
- Continue current efforts to increase available entry-level housing, striving for a balance between jobs and housing, and encourage City employees to live in San Mateo.
- Increase efforts to cooperate with schools and other agencies to improve services, strengthen partnerships, avoid duplication, and decrease costs.
- Develop and maintain an organization which values employee participation and a sense of ownership.
- Continue efforts to ensure a well-planned, quality-built environment, and to invest in the long-term infrastructure needs of the City promoting a high quality of life and creating an identity for San Mateo that generates civic pride and responsibility.