New 2016 California Building Codes
***New Building Codes will take effect on January 1, 2017***
If you are an architect, engineer, designer or contractor that performs work within the State of California, please be advised that new Building Codes will take effect on January 1, 2017. All permit applications submitted on or after January 1, 2017 must comply with the new codes. Please make sure that you are familiar with these new codes at the time you submit plans as we cannot approve projects that are not in compliance with the new codes. The 2016 California codes are currently available for purchase directly from the International Code council at www.iccsafe.org.
For information related to the development of the California Building Standards Code, please visit the following State agencies or departments:
Any plans submitted on or before December 31, 2016 will comply with the 2013 edition of the California Building Standards Code.
Resources and Information:
2016 Edition of the California Building Standards Code and California Code of Regulations, Title 24
- Part 1: California Administrative Code
- Part 2: California Building Code
- Part 2.5: California Residential Code
- Part 3: Electrical Code
- Part 4: California Mechanical Code
- Part 5: California Plumbing Code
- Part 6: California Energy Code - Delayed until July 1, 2014
- Part 7: Currently Vacant
- Part 8: California Historical Building Code
- Part 9: California Fire Code
- Part 10: California Existing Building Code
- Part 11: California Green Building Standards Code (CALGreen)
- Part 12: California Referenced Standards Code
Seismic Design Category:
CBC § 1613.1
Basic Wind Speed:
85 mph - 3 second gust
CBC § 1609.4
Soil Bearing Capacity:
1,500 psf max. or soils report required
Designed to accommodate a minimum of 2 inches of rainfall per hour
Hours of Construction*:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am. - 5:00pm.
Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
*Work is to be performed during these hours only.