Through public education events and training sessions, the Fire Department focuses on activities that will prepare the community to take care of itself in the period immediately following a local disaster. It is commonly accepted that government services may not be available for up to seventy-two (72) hours following a major disaster.
San Mateo's public safety personnel will make every effort to meet the needs of local citizens as soon as possible, at the onset of a disaster.
To help our citizens protect their families and their property, during that period until help arrives, the City offers the following services:
- Community Safety Fairs & Displays
- Public speaking offering personal preparedness and self preservation
- A neighborhood preparedness program known as CERT
- Assistance with drills, exercises and hazard mitigation
- Literature for preparing your school, business, and/or home for a disaster.
Residents of the City of San Mateo are urged to take advantage of these programs.