Building Blocks Preschool Programs
Registration for the 2017/18 school year is available now!
San Mateo’s award-winning Building Blocks Preschool Program has been recognized as an outstanding program and we have a loyal following of San Mateo parents. We provide a safe, nurturing and creative environment for your child. For complete and detailed information on any of the preschool classes, see our Activity Guide.
Our preschool program benefits include:
- Building Block approach: The structure of our program provides a stable and continuous learning environment for your child from ages 1.5 to five years.
- Highly qualified teachers: Our professional preschool teachers are educated in early childhood development.
- Low teacher-child ratios: There are no more than 12 children per teacher.
- Great value: Building Blocks Preschool is moderately priced to be accessible to all.
- Multiple locations: Programs are located at four facilities for your convenience.
Block A: Parent & Child (Ages 1 – 2 years)
You and your child can explore preschool together in this first step of our building blocks program. The classes are a fun time to get your little one used to the idea of preschool with singing, sharing, and arts and crafts. The classes focus on:
- Reinforcing parents as teachers.
- Building socialization skills.
Block B: Friends & Me (Ages 2 – 3.3 years)
This class is for little ones who are ready to explore school on their own, but are not yet toilet-trained. Friends & Me focuses on:
- Exploration with a teacher.
- Fostering independence.
- Easing separation anxiety through self-fulfilling activities.
- Continued building of movement and social skills.
- Low ratio - five students per teacher.
Block C: Tiny Tots (Ages 3 – 4 years) - potty training required
This class is the next step after Friends and Me and is designed for toilet-trained children. It provides a vibrant and nurturing environment for your child to develop:
- Social and cognitive skills.
- Gross motor and fine motor skills.
- Pre-academic concepts such as the alphabet, colors, phonics and numbers.
Block D: Pre-Kindergarten (Ages 4 – 5 years)
This last program in our series and is designed as a transition to kindergarten. Pre-kindergarten focuses on:
- Continued development of social skills and building self esteem.
- Providing a more structured environment in preparation for kindergarten.
- Incorporating state recommended academic benchmarks.
- Creating a safe setting to develop age-appropriate skills.
We offer fee assistance for qualifying San Mateo residents.