The City of San Mateo Tree Division is responsible for the maintenance, protection and renewal of our City’s valuable tree resource.
Our Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Scheduling contract maintenance including: pruning, removal of dead and hazardous trees, planting, and emergency tree operations
- Administering the Heritage Tree and Street Tree Ordinances
- Assisting with permit applications
- Responding to resident concerns about trees in public spaces
Street Tree Inspection and Maintenance
If you wish to address an issue with a public tree (i.e. trees located along our streets, in medians and in parks) the first step is to request an inspection by one of our certified arborists. Learn More
Heritage Tree and Street Tree Permits
All public trees and many privately-owned trees require a permit prior to pruning or removal. Learn More
This section covers the attention and care needed to protect both your trees and your home. Learn More
Free Street Tree Planting Program
Would you like a tree planted in front of your home for free? Learn More
Frequently Asked Questions
We've compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions about our tree services.
Benefits of Trees
Hiring an Arborist
- Why Hire an Arborist (Trees Are Good)
- How to Find a Consulting Arborist (American Society of Consulting Arborists)
Disclaimer for External Links
The appearance of external links on the World Wide Web does not constitute endorsement by the City of San Mateo, Department of Parks and Recreation of external Web sites or the information or services contained therein. The City does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations.